We make it a priority for every student to feel welcome, valued and challenged. Students have an engaging learning experience at the College.
At Doncaster Secondary College we work together to enable all students to achieve their potential and become confident, effective learners who contribute productively to society.
Our College motto “working together, learning together” encapsulates the learning culture.
Our core values of Respect, Responsibility, Resilience and Teamwork resonate throughout the curriculum.
“Only those who know how to learn, who can relate to others and the environment and who can make the world part of their own evolving being will thrive in this world” (Michael Fullan).
The curriculum at Doncaster Secondary College is designed to personalize learning for students and to meet their diverse academic, social and emotional needs. Based on our shared belief that all students can learn and develop their unique skills and talents, we will provide opportunities for each student to be challenged and succeed. We recognize that learning is a balance between knowledge acquisition and skill development, therefore we utilise the current curriculum standards and instructional model set by DET, to assist in the delivery of a viable teaching and learning program by all staff.
We do this through:
- Maintaining a whole school focus on literacy and numeracy
- Designing curriculum which incorporates student agency
- Modelling the characteristics of successful learners, and having clear success criteria
- Explicitly teaching the skills within creative and critical thinking, problem solving, communication and the use of digital technologies
- Creating a classroom environment which allows for independent and collaborative learning
- Setting high-expectations for ourselves and our learners
- Providing programs that build on the strengths of individual students
- Ensuring that learning is authentic and has links to the real world
- Demonstrating the integral relationship between learning and assessment
- Sharing an appreciation of values, culture and beliefs
- Building partnerships with the community
- Developing the capacity for citizenship